L’OMS recherche un Consultant (Responsable Technique de Laboratoire), Brazzaville, République du Congo
The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored the importance of scaling up genomic sequencing and surveillance globally and in Africa. In recognition, over the past year, the World Health Organization Regional Office for Africa (WHO AFRO) has accelerated its work supporting Member States to build genomics capacity to detect and characterize SARS-CoV-2, with an eye to building long-term sustainable capacity for other pathogens, and for AMR.
While this represents improvement, there remains a need to increase the capacity of genomic sequencing in all the WHOAFRO countries, particularly those with inadequate laboratory systems and capacity. To support Member States across the region to scale up their genomics capacity, WHO AFRO has developed a generalized approach, providing countries with sequencing laboratories technical assistance to fill gaps and countries without sequencing labs technical assistance to initially send samples to designated regional reference laboratories and eventually set up sequencing capacity in their own countries.
In line with that, a project focusing on six countries which have relatively limited genomic sequencing capabilities and where supportive activities can have a significant impact have been developed with the general objective to build genomics capacity to detect and characterize SARS-CoV-2, with an eye to building long-term sustainable capacity for other pathogens and AMR.
It is planned to recruit a Laboratory technical officer to support the implementation of the lab strengthening component of the project under the oversight and supervision of the AFRO/ARD Cluster.
- National laboratory capacity of the six countries in genomic sequencing and of laboratory systems assessed, needs prioritised and plans developed for strengthening.
- National laboratory capacity built following the project objectives in the six countries. That include equipment and reagents supply, sample management, and establishment of environmental surveillance sites.
- Capacity of Laboratory human resources strengthened through adequate trainings in genomic sequencing and bioinformatics.
- Activities duly reported
Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
- Essential: A master’s degree in virology, immunology, molecular biology, biochemistry or any other field related to the functions of the post, from a recognized university.
- Desirable: A PhD in virology, immunology, molecular biology, or biochemistry would be an asset.
- Essential: Seven (7) years of national and international experience of laboratory management, laboratory systems strengthening, as well as experience in the design, planning, execution and evaluation of research projects related to microbiology laboratories.
- Desirable: Experience in technical support to countries and working with WHO would be an asset.
- Strong managerial, project monitoring and execution skills, including laboratory systems activities and inter-institutional collaboration.
- Technical expertise in training; expertise in virus characterization and transfer of technology in virus characterization, molecular diagnosis, and genomic sequencing.
- Mature technical, analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated ability to assess, analyse, synthesize and provide recommendation on key technical issues.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of peer-reviewed manuscripts, reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents.
Languages and level required
- Expert knowledge of English and at least intermediate knowledge of French. Signing the contract will be conditional on an adequate level of French.
- Technical Supervision
The incumbent will work under the direct and general supervision of the Director, ARD Cluster, and under the technical supervision of the project responsible in the DLS Unit
the consultant will work: On site: _AFRO, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo___________(please indicate office and duty station) Off site: ____________(please indicate location/address). On site for insurance purposes :_ AFRO, PO Box:6, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo.
- 6. Travel
Duty travels for visits, trainings, and technical support in the six countries, and meetings in other countries are expected to occur. Dates are not yet available.
- Remuneration and budget (travel costs excluded)
Band B for Eleven (11) months.